Kennard’s Corner, Bothell


Intersection of Bothell Everett Highway and 196th Street SE, Bothell

Alfred Kennard cleared the land, at what is known as Kennard’s Corner, to establish a large dairy farm. Kennard was born in England on October 22, 1873. His father, Richard Kennard, died in England and his mother, Mary, brought her eight children to the US, when Alfred was 19. After living in Oregon for a few years, Mary returned to England with two of her children. Instead, Alfred worked in Pennsylvania for a year before moving to Portland. He arrived in Bothell by 1910 when he bought the land that became his namesake. He cleared the land and built one of the best farms of the time according to William Whitfield’s History of Snohomish County, Washington. Kennard married Myrtle J. Knowles and they had seven children— Frederick, Robert, John, Edward, Ruth, Richard, and Jane. Kennard was also a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. (74)

In 1929, Alfred’s son, Frederick Kennard, leased the garage and service station at the northwest corner of Bothell Everett Highway and 196th Street. That was when the area became known as Kennard’s Corner. Fred and his wife, Bunny, operated the business until 1945. Fred died in 1954 in a fishing accident and Bunny died in 1976. His father, Alfred, died in 1947; Myrtle followed in 1974. (75)

(74) Whitfield, William, ed. History of Snohomish County, Washington. V2 Chicago: Pioneer Historical Publishing Company, 1926. pg. 452
(75) Kennard, Eleanor Campbell, ”Kennard’s Corner.” Slough of Memories, Northshore History Boosters, Fred Klein, 1992. pp. 16-17

  • 19570 Bothell-Everett Highway, built 1966 (Snohomish County Assessor)

    19570 Bothell-Everett Highway, built 1966 (Snohomish County Assessor)