Wintermute’s Corner, Mill Creek


Intersection of 164th Street and Bothell Everett Highway, Mill Creek

The “corners” along the Bothell-Everett Highway (State Route 527) represent the last days of wagon use and the beginning of car travel between Seattle and Everett. These corners were named for the prominent families that lived around on what became State Route 527. In 1885, Seattle Hill Road was an unpaved trail that led to what became the Bothell-Everett Highway. The highway development followed the area’s economic development as it evolved from logging towns to urban centers. (68)

In the 1930s, a Dr. Garhart purchased 800 acres that would become the majority of Mill Creek. In 1935, the many families that lived on the land built a dam and reservoir at the intersection of 164th Street and the Bothell Everett Highway. At that time, the corner became officially known as Wintermute’s Corner. (69) The city of Mill Creek grew out of the core at Wintermute’s Corner. (70) The corner was home to a truck farm that grew produce that was sold at the Wintermute grocery and gas station across the street. (71)

The Wintermute name may refer to the descendants of Jacob Mains Wintermute and his wife Susan Sophia Quick. Census and Wintermute family records indicate that Jacob and Susan’s eleven children (Alexander, Austin, Elias, Elizabeth, George Elmer, James Ackerson, Joseph, Levi, Luella, Mary Almeda, and Sara Jane) and their families moved from New Jersey to Nebraska to, in and around, Snohomish County during the late 1800s. (72)

Many North American Wintermutes trace their heritage back to Johannes Windemuth and his wife, Beate Ludolsin, who lived in Allendorf, Hessen, Germany, during the mid-1600s. The Windemuths had one child, Johann Christoph Windemuth, who married Maria Margarethe Kleppinger. Johann and Maria had three children—Anna Elisabeth, Georg Philip, and Johann Georg, who immigrated to North America in the 1730s. (73)

(68) Brooks, Diane, “Loggers to Latte Stands: Route Spans History.” The Seattle Times, May 24, 2006
(69) Levitsis, Tony, “Mill Creek History.” Help-U-Sell Puget Sound, 2007
(70) “Visitor Information about Hotels, Motels, Inns, and B&B’s in Mill Creek, WA,” Northwestplaces.com, 2001-2008
(71) Brooks, Diane, “Loggers to Latte Stands: Route Spans History.” The Seattle Times, May 24, 2006
(72) “Jacob Mains Wintermute,” Windemuth Family Organization. January 7, 2013
(73) The Windemuth Family Heritage. windemuth.org, 2013